Since we began, volunteers have been a vital part of our continuum of care.
These generous souls help us provide the high quality resident support we’re famous for. And their deeds reach far beyond our walls to benefit the communities we serve.
We have around 400 volunteers – in all shapes and sizes.
One six-year-old (the great-great-granddaughter of a resident) dressed up at Christmas to sit with residents and have their photos taken.
At the other end of the spectrum, a 98-year-old lady fundraised as a craft group member.
Our volunteer diversity matches the breadth of what they do. Around 30 different programs see them:
- Visit residents and provide companionship.
- Contribute mobility and driving services.
- Accompany residents to appointments.
- Help with cafe and kiosk services.
- Keep our gardens beautiful.
- Coordinate group activities.
- Make bed socks and other items.
- Deliver beauty services.
- Provide chaplain assistance.
- Facilitate discussion groups.
- Assist with administration.
- Proofread corporate documents.
- Help with fundraising.
- Supply palliative care support.
We love our volunteers; they make such a difference to our days! We’d be lost without their time, skills, ethics and enthusiasm.
To help them get as much from volunteering as we and our residents do, we’ve created a detailed Volunteer Handbook.
A glance at this manual gives great insight into what makes Southern Cross Care special.